Tornado – A company that has seen three centuries
From X-Ray devices to geared motors
Dr. Max Levy founded the Motorenwerk in 1887 for the development and production of X-ray equipment - the first specialist company of its kind in Germany. In 1914, the Berlin-based company expanded its product range to include drive technology for machine tools, generators, sewing machines and fans.
After Levy died in 1932 from the consequences of his experiments with X-rays, the company was renamed a year later: Tornado electric motors - named after the successfully marketed fans.
Extensive investments in our machinery and the building at the Berlin site, including hall expansion and solar energy, incl. charging stations for e-vehicles.
Takeover of the US company ASI Drives by Accedia GmbH to expand our portfolio for electric drive applications.
Our success story continues…
Dominique Pinault takes over the company and belongs to ACCEDIA Group of Companies, which is principally active in the distribution and manufacture of door automation. With this acquisitionm ACCEDIA Group is then expanding its technical expertise in the field of mechnanical engineering. Tornado is renamed Tornado Antriebstechnik GmbH
Tornado Antriebstechnik is awarded its first major contract with US market leader for stair lifts
Tornado is certified three times for the development of an Integrated Management System (IMS): – ISO 9001:2008 (Quality Management), – ISO 14001:2009 (Environmental Management) – OHSAS 18001:2007 (Occupational Safety Management)
Tornado develops a special double worm gearbox for the tracking of solar panels (so-called Trackers)
With the expansion of the worm gear product range, Tornado also offers the development of all plastic auxiliary parts for industrial applications
The first worm gearboxes of the TD Series for industrial door applications leave the factory
With TS-Series, Tornado introduces a new series for compact helical and parallel shaft geared motors.
Tornado celebrates its 100th Anniversary
The company operates under the name AMK Tornado Antriebstechnik GmbH following its takeover from AMK Group, a leading international manufacturer of electrical drive and control technology.
Due to space constraints, a move is necessary with new (still actual) location offers an 8,000 m² hall in Flohrstraße in Berlin-Reinickendorf
The product range is extended again: Drives for stairlifts, card-index lifts and stage machinery.
A new product is manufactured in Berlin-Wedding: the first worm geared motors for door drives
After the extensive destruction of the factory during World War II, reconstruction begins with only a few employees.
Tornado Elektromotoren is sold to the Deutsche Gewerbehaus.
The company is given a new name: Tornado Elektromotoren. The name comes from the successfully marketed fans with the brand name Tornado.
Company founder Dr. Max Levy dies during a business trip
The Dr. Max Levy motor plant employs 800 people at its headquarters on Leopoldplatz and keep numerous foreign representatives
The product range is extended to drive technology for machine tools, generators, sewing machines and fans
Dr. Max Levy founds the Dr. Max Levy engine plant in the Wedding district of Berlin. X-ray machines are developed and produced